Shared Position between Covenant Presbyterian Church, DTC and Grace Presbyterian Church
Covenant Presbyterian Church, DTC and Grace Presbyterian Church are looking for an energetic and collaborative individual who is interested in innovative methods to expand the Word of God in the south Denver suburban area.
Covenant Presbyterian Church, DTC in Greenwood Village, CO (“Covenant”) and Grace Presbyterian Church in Highlands Ranch, CO (“Grace”) have joined together in an innovative ministry partnership to share a new Associate Pastor position. The successful candidate will be the lead preaching pastor at Covenant, while heading the areas of cultivation and innovation at both Covenant and Grace, working with both congregations, and at both church sites.
While this is a shared position, it is important to note that the two churches are separate entities in their property, congregations, cultures and status in the Denver Presbytery, but like-minded in their goals of growth and expanding ministries. Sharing staff will allow both churches to further their goals and dreams by creating efficiencies between the two. We are excited about this employment model as both congregations continue to create our futures in God’s Kingdom here in the south metro suburbs. This is a new approach in thinking about the work of ministry, and ground breaking in its concept!
While being the primary preaching pastor at Covenant, the successful candidate will enjoy the experience and support of the Senior Pastor and the Associate Pastor of Grace. The Senior Pastor of Grace is Head of Staff at both Grace and Covenant, as well as Moderator of Session at both, and would be the supervisor of this Associate Pastor for Cultivation & Innovation position. Grace would be the hiring church.
Come and join us in an exciting and fresh approach to ministry!
Contribute to our partnership by performing the following duties:
- Preaching & Teaching Responsibilities
- Provide preaching and worship leadership to the Ministry Partnership through weekly worship services and special worship celebrations that are inspirational and life-connected experiences for the congregation (generally preaching 30-40 Sundays per year) primarily at Covenant, including administration of the sacraments, and participating in the planning and preparation of worship
- Serve as a primary teacher to the Ministry Partnership – facilitating and teaching classes, guiding and coaching individuals to discover and live into their callings in life, and nurturing faith development opportunities and experiences
- Provide pastoral leadership to committees and ministry teams focused on worship and spiritual
development in the Ministry Partnership
- Innovative Ministry Responsibilities
- Guide the Session in discerning ministry projects that further the future of the church, and develop opportunities for innovative, experimental worship services and communities Provide pastoral leadership to committees and ministry teams entrusted with innovating for the future of the church and the faith. Pursue “beyond-congregation” funding to help supplement funding for these innovative ventures
- Outreach & Evangelism Responsibilities
- Provide pastoral guidance to ensure that marketing and advertising effectively communicate the message and life of our churches and partnership to the community
- Identify and disciple households in key communities, strategic neighborhoods, and demographic niches, helping to cultivate relationships and host and build hospitable community with our neighbors. Develop and oversee third place ministries that are relevant to our suburban communities
- Guide committees and ministry teams involved with providing hospitality to and engagement with
visitors by ensuring they receive effective and relevant communication and materials
- Provide pastoral leadership to committees and ministry teams entrusted with extending the reach of the church
- General Ministry Responsibilities
- Along with other members of the pastoral team, administer the sacraments, and provide pastoral leadership in weddings, funerals, and memorial services within the life of the congregations
- Provide pastoral care as part of the weekly pastoral care rotation as well as provide pastoral leadership and support to ministry areas as assigned
- Serve in denominational and community leadership roles as required and time permits
- Serve as a member of both Sessions and engage in continuing education, study leave, and sabbatical opportunities according to the terms of call
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Theological alignment with PCUSA, with a ‘big tent’ open-minded approach
- Excellent communication skills, including interpersonal and preaching/teaching
- Relationship builder in intergenerational context
- Experience leading in ministry and attracting new members
- Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, judgment and sound problem solving skills
- Must be able to operate independently as well as collaboratively within a team concept
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and familiarity with social media platforms
- Education and/or Experience:
- Masters of Divinity or similar required
- Ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament (or almost complete with ordination requirements)
The above statements are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a listing of all of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This job description is not a contract of employment, either express or implied. Employment with Grace Presbyterian Church will be voluntarily entered into and your employment is considered at will. Grace Presbyterian Church reserves the right to alter the job description at any time without
Grace Presbyterian Church is an equal opportunity employer that prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
All applications need to come through the Church Leadership Connection website https://clc.pcusa.org/